Validation Code

Friday, August 26, 2011

Attention Signals & Quiet Signals


Attention Signals and Quiet Signals

Try, "Give Me 5" and put up your hand and use each finger:

Eyes are looking
Ears are listening
Lips are closed
Hands are still
Feet are quiet
 
Our school also does a "Give me Five" program that is campus wide K - 2. We have a large poster of a hand. Each finger starting with pinky: eyes on speaker, mouth quiet, body still, ears listening, hands free. Anytime an adult holds up their hand and says "give me five" the children stop and look at them.
 
When I want my kids to put everything down and look at me, I chant "Hands on top" while putting my hands on my head. They respond "Everybody STOP" while putting their hands on their heads. 

I also like "Hocus, Pocus, Everybody Focus".
 
Looks like -Sounds like-Modeling at the beginning of the year.  They brainstorm and model what good listening looks like, then what it sounds like and what does a good line, look like? sound like? and they do this for every situation.
 
I pick 2 kids and tell them that when they hear me say "Shush" their job is to say "ssssshhhhhhh" loud enough for everyone to know to get quiet.
 
When lining up and walking down the hallway, I say: "Single File with a Smile."  When in class I'll clap twice and they will clap twice. 
 
Students will play Copycat. It is up to you to create a fun, new way to get the students attention. I use clapping a pattern or I say "Hands on head, eyes on me, 1,2,3, and they repeat to get attention for directions.
 
Change up your signals, and use various ones. Use some of the good old fashioned teacher's bell, a music box, saying "One Two Three, Eyes On Me" (They answer "One Two, Eyes on You!")

Chants work for the seasons:
One Jack o lantern
Two Jack o lantern
Three Jack o lantern
Boo! It's Halloween!

One Turkey
Two Turkey
Three Turkey
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
If you're listening clap your hands...(clap, clap)
If you're listening touch your nose...(touch your nose)
If you're listening touch your head...(touch your head)
If you're listening touch your chin...(touch your chin).
Repeat it to get everyone's attention & use different variations.
 
Clean Up Song-Everyone joins in to sing!

Twinkle, twinkle little star
Time to clean up where you are
Put your work back in its place
With a smile upon your face
Twinkle, twinkle little star
Time to clean up where you are.
 
Instead of writing "bad" kids on the board, I write "good" kids on the board.

No comments: