Validation Code

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Open House and Grading Tips

Works4Me
Ideas and tips by teachers, for teachers
Tips!
Video at Open House

From Jan Stoffel, a family and consumer studies teacher at North Bend High School in North Bend, Oregon:
“In the fall, we hold a traditional open house for parents, in which they come to school in the evening and meet the teachers by following a shortened version of their child's class schedule. One idea that has worked well for me in my activity-centered classes is to video tape students as they work on a project a few days prior to the open house. As we know, a picture is worth a thousand words, and parents love to see their children on TV. I keep the video quite short (four to five minutes) and make an effort to film every student at least three times. I leave the sound off because I feel safer about what will be on the clip! I narrate the video as parents watch. Parents love it, and I find that the evening is far more relaxing because the focus is on the video and the children, and my presentation doesn’t have to be the center of attention for the whole period.”


Private Grades

From Althea Carr, a fourth grade teacher in Hebron, Connecticut:
“In order to respect the privacy of my students’ grades, I designate the top left or right corner as a place to record grades. After marking a grade on the paper, I turn down the corner and staple it closed. This eliminates any embarrassment when students pass back others’ work.”

http://www.nea.org/tools/BrowseAllTips.html  See All Tips
http://www.nea.org/home/2580.htm  NEA
Published by the National Education Association, 1201 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036.

No comments: